Tuesday, February 27, 2007

How to use BlackBerry Pearl as a modem?

  • How to set up?
    1. Start your BlackBerry Desktop Manager and it should be running in the background. there is no need to click on any options. just open it. This is required to use BlackBerry pearl as an external modem.
    2. Conenct your BlackBerry using USB cable to your Computer.
    3. Click on start->Control Panel -> Phones and Modems->Press Enter
    4. Click on Modem tab-> select the standard modem -> click on Properties -> Advanced and add only ONE of the following Extra initialization command line That applies to your carrier. APN Settings: Cingular Blue/AT&T Users
      +cgdcont=1,"IP","proxy"

      Cingular Orange
      +cgdcont=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"

      T-MOBILE USA
      +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

      Rogers
      +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.com"

      Vodafone UK
      +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"

      Verizon USA - Blank
      Nextel USA - Blank
      Sprint USA - Blank

      1. Press ok until all windows are closed. now click on Start -> Connect To -> Show all connections -> Create a new connection.
        1. Click Next

        2. Select "Connect To The Internet" then Next

        3. Select "Set up my connection manually" then Next

        4. Select "Connect using a dial-up modem" then Next.

        5. Check only the Standard Modem (if prompted).

        6. Give the connection a name such as "Pearl Modem", then Next.

        7. On the next screen, pick one of the following phone numbers, depending on your carrier:
        For GSM Phones such as Cingular , AT&T and T-Mobile use phone number *99#
        For iDEN phones such as Nextel/Telus use phone number S=2
        For CDMA phones such as Verizon, Sprint use phone number #777

        8. Click Next.

        9. On the next screen, pick one of the following, depending on your carrier:

        Cingular Blue, AT&T or Nextel:
        User name: Blank
        Password: Blank

        Rogers Canada:
        User name: wapuser1
        Password: wap

        Cingular Orange:
        Username:ispda@cingulargprs.com
        Password: cingular1

        T-Mobile USA:
        User name: TMobile.com User name
        Password: TMobile.com Password

        Verizon replace 8005551212 with your phone number:
        Username:
        8005551212@vzw3g.com
        Password: 8005551212

        Sprint:
        Username: Sprint User name
        Password: Sprint Password

        10. Clear all check boxes ("Use...when anyone..." and "Make this the default...")

        11. Click Finish
    5. Make sure under TCP/IP Properties (Advanced) "Use IP Header Compression" checkbox is unchecked. To verify this, do these steps:
      1. Start Menu->Network Connections->"Pearl Modem"
      2. Click Properties Button
      3. Click Networking Tab
      4. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
      5. Click Properties Button
      6. Click Advanced... Button
      7. un-check "Use IP header compression" checkbox
      8. Click OK until all windows are closed.
      Uncheck all the following check boxes, if you see any of these checked:
      Turn off "Enable Hardware Flow Control"
      Turn off "Enable Modem Error Control"
      Turn off "Enable Modem Compression
    6. Finally, click on the "Pearl Modem" icon via Start Menu->Network Connections. start using Internet from your Pearl.
  • 34 comments:

    Unknown said...

    It realy works!!
    Thanks Ken. I've tried to use a t-mobile pearl 8100 as a modem before with no success. The instructions are clear and simple. The speed is great for a phone and can't be happier.

    admanaus said...

    I am trying to connect trough a verizon blackberry pearl but am receiving an Error 692. I don't see where in the setup I am suppose to replace my phone number with the 8005551212 number. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

    Unknown said...

    I followed inst rather than using my laptop I am using a PC. My modem BB modem is connecting properly and display connected but when I go to internet explorer page can't be found. Pls email me any suggestions

    Unknown said...

    Wow! I am posting this comment while connected with my pearl 8120... took me a total of 3 minutes... Thx

    Mohit's Blog said...

    Dude.

    WOW! Thanks a tonne. Was using an Option card earlier. but BB 8100 works just too good. I get 100Kbps on an EDGE network and u know how good it is? Too Good.

    Thanks Pal.

    MEM said...

    AT&T has updated it's intialization command line. It is now:

    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular"

    I used the one listed here in step#4 and it did not work. Once I changed it it worked immediately. All of the other steps are accurate.

    Unknown said...

    Ken,

    The modem query works and it dials out to 'verifying username and password' but it times out and gives a 718 error. I'm using my T-Mobile username and password. What am I missing?

    Dogger

    Unknown said...

    Hola soy de Puerto Rico y me llevo casi 3hrs configurar mi BlackBerry pearl 8100 de AT&T. El comando que escribio Mem:

    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular"

    es el correcto. Tan Pronto lo puse y segui todos los pasos al pie de la letra me funciono. El unico paso confuso lo fue:
    "Uncheck all the following check boxes, if you see any of these checked:
    Turn off "Enable Hardware Flow Control"
    Turn off "Enable Modem Error Control"
    Turn off "Enable Modem Compression"

    Ya que no te especifuca como llegar a la pantalla en donde sale eso. Para llegar a esa pantalla ve
    a la coneccion que creastes, le das right click, le das Properties, cuando abra la pantalla,asegurate que esta marcado "Standard Modem" y clikeas en Configure. Es ahi donde tienes que "uncheck" todos comandos.

    Una vez hice esto me salio todo.

    ESTOY FELIZZZZ!!!

    Espero haber aportado algo !!!

    Unknown said...

    It worked on the first try! I have a t-mobile pearl and it really works! I connect over a 115.k which shockingly seems pretty fast considering my dependence on broadband service! Thanks man great instructions.

    niXXiL said...

    Do someone know how to do the same outside from the US with another different cellular supplier ??

    Thanks !!

    Chelsea said...

    Hi there,

    I followed all the instructions but although it connects at 115k i am unable to surf or anything. What could be the problem? I am using a 8100 pearl on T-Mobile.j

    Brian Wilkins said...

    I got it to work with IP header compression on... I am going to try it with it off and see if has an effect. Make sure you use this command for Cingular/AT&T:

    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular"

    Brian Wilkins said...

    With IP Header Compression OFF the connection is MUCH faster. With it ON, it is slower.. I am guessing the server has to break down the packets and decompress them.... Works perfectly.

    Unknown said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Unknown said...

    By following these steps you can set up your modem with your BlackBerry Pearl. To beat tether plans and unlimited data plans with your 8100 BlackBerry pearl - use " shark modem blackberry modem. "

    Manoj said...

    Hi Ken - was trying to get my T-Mobile Pearl 8100 set up a modem. Using Vista Home Premium on my notebook. When I go to Advanced option in Standard Modem properties - I am not able to write anything in Extra initialization command. Would appreciate your help.

    Thanks
    MJ

    Anonymous said...

    does this work by any chance without a data plan? just wondering

    Jean said...

    how do you contact Vivian Feliz. They managed to get the Blackberry 8100 to work as an external modem. I would like to know how.

    Jgui2001@aol.com

    Jean said...

    Thanks to the Blogger my connection works with the Blackberry Pearl.

    Step 4 is the only change:
    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular"

    Everything else is correct.

    Unknown said...

    This works great but you also need to make sure that the following are disabled (not checked) for the new PPP connection you have set up:

    "Enable LCP Extensions"
    "Enable Software Compression"
    "Negotiate Multi-Link for Single Link Connections"

    You can find these checkboxes by right clicking on the new connection you have set up, then going to the "Networking" tab, then clicking on the "Settings" button.

    Erick H. said...

    I'm using an AT&T Pearl 8100 and was connected for about an hour last night. Then it disconnected, and will not connect anymore. I have checked all of the settings, and everything is correct. I just can't get connected again.

    enemy0666 said...

    I have tmobile and i am roaming on at&t does that make a difference. If it does then what is the solution. enemy0666@yahoo.com for solution.

    Unknown said...

    I cannot connect.
    When I query the modem, I got:
    ATQ0V1E0 - OK
    AT+GMM - BlackBerry IP Modem
    AT+FCLASS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    ATI1 - Research in Motion BlackBerry IP Modem
    ATI2 - Research in Motion BlackBerry IP Modem
    ATI3 - Research in Motion BlackBerry IP Modem
    ATI4 - Research in Motion BlackBerry IP Modem
    ATI5 - Research in Motion BlackBerry IP Modem
    ATI6 - Research in Motion BlackBerry IP Modem
    ATI7 - Research in Motion BlackBerry IP Modem


    According to the instructions, these
    AT+FCLASS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    should have OK instead of COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED

    What have I done wrong?

    Unknown said...

    These directions are for XP. There are directions on E How.com for Vista. Just remember to use the initialize string
    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular"

    Brenda Baker said...

    Also, Found out today that while this does work with verizon, your browser immmediately opens a verizon page saying you must subscribe to a $30/month plan to use the service.

    Joshua Badillo said...

    Using Vista, Steps are pretty much the same.

    I got it working with a few tries.

    Also remember all, The Desktop Manager is needed.

    The speed is good and bad.

    It is what it is, so i dont have
    net right now and its a savior.

    I found this blog on my 8100,
    now its a reality.. thanks

    Joshua

    DJ Stoltz Records said...

    Thanks for the post! I was about to shell out money for TetherBerry until I ran into this, hopefully more people will run across this, as for me this will be a life saver when doing DJ gigs with no internet and I want to honor that one "odd" request :-) With Vista it's a bit different but it works fine with T-Mobile.

    Unknown said...

    Nov-5-2009: I just downloaded the latest Blackberry Desktop Manager v5.0.1, and it has a new option "IP Modem" that lets you use a Blackberry as a IP Modem for Internet access.
    Haven´t tried it yet but it's a BIG plus. Thanks RIM for listening.

    Unknown said...

    I've got a BB Pearl 8130 originally from Verizon, but it's now flashed to Cricket. Do i follow the steps for Verizon, or do I use a specific cricket one?

    Unknown said...

    hello, thanx for the info. this also worked for my motorola v3 razr...

    Unknown said...

    This doc was sent to me by T-mobile UK as they say they no longer support using these phones as a modem. I've got my Pearl 8110 working on T-mobile UK with the following initialisation string :- at+cgdcont=1,"IP","general.t-mobile.uk"
    Username is user; password is pass.
    Phone number is *99#
    Hope this helps anyone in UK

    jdw83172 said...

    I have sprint, every time I try to use the phone as a modem it trys to dial but won't connect. It gives me a error code 678..

    jdw83172 said...

    I have sprint. I followed the instructions to the T and it still won't work. Is the user name the same as my sprint account?? or do I type in the phrase "sprint user name. ????

    Unknown said...

    Cricket I don't think support BlackBerry as a modem. If anyone would like BlackBerry modem support check out these guys blackberryrescue.com - they helped me

    Your Ad Here